Orland Park, IL - Fence Company Installation Guide
The Village of Orland Park requires that you obtain a permit for the following types of fence-related construction:
Whether Illinois Fence Company will be installing a new fence in your backyard, replacing an existing one, or completing a repair, the Village of Orland Park, IL requires that you obtain a building permit.
You must complete the following application requirements to apply for a building permit:
- You must complete a building permit application (the most updated version is available on their website, the link is below)
- They need a legible copy of your plat of survey
- They want to know the type of fence you are going to have installed, including the height of the fence
- If you are using a fence company or contractor, they will need the full legal business name
- They will want to know the total cost of the fence project
- They will need a signed copy of the Fence Installation Rules & Requirements document (the most updated version is available on their website, the link is below)
- Please keep in mind, as a resident of Orland Park, if your fence is on a corner lot they will require an inspector to come out and perform a field check before they can issue a building permit for a fence replacement
- You then pay the $100 fee for the building permit
Once your fence installation is complete, the Village of Orland Park will want to perform a final inspection. Unlike other cities in the greater Chicagoland area, Orland Park does not require fence companies to complete what we call post hole inspections, where they need to measure the depth of each post hole in your backyard. Please keep in mind, that you cannot request your final inspection over the phone.
Fence Installation - Orland Park, IL Rules & Regulations
Additional Conditions of Approval
- A legible copy of your Plat of Survey is required indicating exactly where the fence is going to be installed, including the distance from the side and rear lot lines (Illinois Fence Company will also need a copy of this at the time of purchase).
- The maximum height of the fence is 6 feet tall.
- They will want to know the type of fence being installed such as wood, vinyl, aluminum, or chain link fence styles.
- You will be required to tell the Village of Orland Park specifically how tall the fence is going to be in your backyard.
- Fence can be erected in side and rear setbacks behind the front building line.
- Perimeter fence, including any substructure, must be constructed entirely within the property where the permit is issued.
- Back to back fences are allowed - the homeowner must maintain any area between the property line and fence.
- No Fence shall be permitted which obstructs or otherwise interferes with public use of a street, sidewalk, right-of-way or another public easement.
- In the Old Orland Historic District, all fences must be white picket (except along alleys), not to exceed 5 feet in height.
- In the Old Orland Historic District, all fences, including a replacement for like, require a (COA) Certificate of Appropriateness by the Planning Division.
- You are responsible for any covenants your subdivision may have regarding fences.
General Construction Requirements in Orland Park, IL
- Every fence installed within the Village of Orland Park shall be designed and constructed to resist and withstand high wind pressures.
- All fence posts used in the construction of your new fence must be installed at a depth of at least 1/3 of each fence posts length (the good news is this is part of our standard operating procedure here at Illinois Fence Company).
- All fence materials shall be treated with a chemical treatment to protect them from deterioration
- You cannot alter the existing grade level of your backyard to change the height of the fence
- You cannot construct a fence that alters or impedes water drainage in your yard
- If you want to paint your fence, you must use a non-lead based paint
- Make sure that the finished side of the fence faces the street and the neighbor's yard
orland park, il Additional Rules About Privacy Fences
- Privacy fence installation must be reviewed and approved by a Building Official from the Village of Orland Park
- The minimum setback from the property line is 5 feet
- Your fence company is not allowed to install a privacy fence taller than 6 feet
- Privacy fences cannot be installed in the front yard or past the building line
- Straight lines cannot be blocked
Additional Rules for Ornamental Fences in orland park, illinois
- Open style ornamental fences must be 60% open for visibility reasons per linear foot, but this does not apply to chain link fences, wire fences, or fences of similar construction in Orland Park
- Local fence companies must have their ornamental fence installations reviewed and approved by a Building Official before the day of the install
The minimum setback from the property line is 1 foot
- The maximum height is 5 feet (if located within 5' of the property line) OR 6 feet (if located at least 5' from the property line)
- Ornamental fences are not allowed to be installed in the front yard or past the front building line
- Sight lines cannot be blocked in any manner
Still Have Questions?
If you have questions or concerns about your upcoming fence installation with Illinois Fence Company, please feel free to call, text, or email us at any time. If you need to speak with the Village of Orland Park, please see their contact details below and reach out to them directly.
VILLAGE OF ORLAND PARK helpful Resources
The Village of Orland Park Website - Fence Information
Learn More About Orland Park
Map of Orland Park